Tuesday, November 16, 2010

And so it begins

It's 12:45 a.m. on Monday, November 15.

After her midnight feeding, Lauren is carefully placed in her crib to sleep. As always, she is placed on her back because that's how 2010 babies are supposed to sleep.



But wait. She immediately rolls on her side.

Wait baby girl. You need to sleep on your back.

So I quickly roll her back into place.



But she rolls again. And I carefully roll her back.

And we continue this night time dance. Again...and again...and again.

Immediately a new level of "new mom" excitement kicks in.

I think to myself...

This is so exciting. Baby girl is getting bigger and growing up.
I'm so happy she is learning to roll over.
She's such a big girl.
I must put this milestone in her baby book.
But what if she's not ready?
I think it's too soon.
What if she's too sleepy or too lazy to roll herself back?
Can she breathe?
Maybe I should just stay here all night and keep placing her on her back?
Surely I can do this for 6 more hours.
Should I take her pacifier out to allow for more lung capacity?
Is being face-planted into the mattress a positive thing?
Did we practice enough tummy time?
Is her neck strong enough to turn her head?
What if she needs me and I'm not here standing over her crib?

And so it begins. A lifetime of sleepless nights as a new Mother wanting only the best for my baby girl. Sigh!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - you just brought tears to my eyes. I'm so enjoying watching her grow, but I'm also enjoying watching you experience being a mother. Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Syd, she's precious.

    K Starr

    ReplyDelete